Sunday, August 30, 2009

Time to hire a new person!

Over the last 3.5 years, Walk the Dog has grown and grown... I'm so thankful and appreciative of all the fantastic clients I have (the 4 legged - and 2 Legged ones). It's amazing that I've been able to grow this business solely on referrals and a few business cards at the VCA animal hospital. I'm truly blessed.

I love my "job" and the work is incredibly rewarding ... So working 7 days a week (and holidays) isn't really a big deal for me. But there's only so much that Penny and I can do in a day. We looked into scheduling our time based on a 26 hour day, but the logistics involved for slowing the earth's rotation seemed a bit daunting. Looked into cloning too, but apparently that's still only an option for sheep that live in the Netherlands. Ha Ha Ha....

Our research left us with the slightly more conventional conclusion... it's time to hire a new crew member.

It's going to be a hard task of finding someone I trust. I'm really a picky person when it comes to interviews. When I hired Penny (over a year ago), I went thru over 100 applicants. Phone interviews first, then face to face interviews, endless question asking, checking references... Then finally background checks & possibly even a drug test (I'm slightly neurotic when it comes to hiring someone who is going to be representing ME!).... We're looking with someone who is trustworthy, has a love for animals and their well being, has general common sense, is able to stick to a schedule, has above average communication skills, has an honest & general kind soul, can function as a team player, is respectful of our clients homes & personal lives... just to name of few... In other words, on a scale of 1-10, they've got to be a 10!

Initially, our new hire will be helping carry the load on weekends and holidays... Once they get into their groove, we'll be looking to you, our clients, to help spread the word about Walk the Dog to your friends and family in the South Bay.

Thanks again to every one of our loyal clients who trust us day in and day out with their 4-legged babies. I'm confident that whomever joins our team will be able to help us to better meet the needs of our current clients, as well as help serve the needs of other loving pet parents across the South Bay!

Wish me luck, the search is about to begin!!